No Charges for Schneiderman – #MeToo, Changes to Statutes of Limitations Needed

Former N.Y. attorney general Eric Schneiderman won’t face charges after four women claim he abused them

THE DAILY NEWS

 

Former N.Y. attorney general Eric Schneiderman won’t face charges after four women claim he abused them
Disgraced New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said in a statement he didn’t consider the decision by the Nassau County district attorney not to file charges against him over abuse allegations an exoneration. (Mary Altaffer / AP)

Former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who was forced out of office after four women he dated accused him of assaulting them, will not face criminal charges, prosecutors said Thursday.

The Nassau County district attorney’s office, tasked with investigating the case by Gov. Cuomo, found the women and their allegations credible, but noted there were obstacles in the way of filing charges against the disgraced elected official.

“I believe the women who shared their experiences with our investigation team,” Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas wrote in a statement. “(H)owever legal impediments, including statutes of limitations, preclude criminal prosecution.”

Schneiderman stepped down from the state’s top law enforcement post in May after several women whom he had been romantically involved with accused him of being physically abusive. Two of his accusers claimed in a New Yorker expose that Schneiderman choked, hit and slapped them during sex or after he had been drinking.

The 63-year-old initially denied being abusive, saying that the violence was consensual and arguing that he had “engaged in role-playing” with the women.

On Thursday, he apologized and said he had spent time in a “rehab” facility.

“I recognize that District Attorney Singas’ decision not to prosecute does not mean I have done nothing wrong,” he said in a statement obtained by the Daily News. “I accept full responsibility for my conduct in my relationships with my accusers, and for the impact it had on them.

“After spending time in a rehab facility, I am committed to a lifelong path of recovery and making amends to those I have harmed. I apologize for any and all pain that I have caused, and I apologize to the people of the State of New York for disappointing them after they put their trust in me.”

One of his accusers, Michelle Manning Barish, said Thursday she felt “completely vindicated” by Schneiderman’s apology — and even wished him well.

“I feel completely vindicated by Eric Schneiderman’s admission that he engaged in the abuse to which he subjected me and the other women,” Manning Barish tweeted.

“This is a victory for all women, but we need more than words,” she added. “I wish him well in his recovery process.”

She also called on the fallen official to donate his unused campaign contributions “to groups that combat sexual violence against women and protect those who are harmed.”

Schneiderman’s campaign fund had about $7.4 million in its coffers as of July, according to a campaign finance report filed with the state. He had even more money stockpiled, but his campaign refunded about $1 million in donations in the two months after he quit.

The Democrat made a name for himself as a champion of women’s rights and a opponent of President Trump before the disturbing allegations against him were made public.

New York City Public Advocate Letitia James made history on Tuesday by being elected to replace Schneiderman, becoming the first black woman state attorney general.

Several prominent women’s rights advocates slammed the DA’s decision, calling on the state to amend current laws to aid abuse victims.

“Mr. Scheiderman is yet another powerful man who hasn’t been held accountable in a court of law for his abuse of women,” Sonia Ossorio, the president of the National Organization of Women’s New York chapter. “Mr. Schneiderman used his power as a weapon. These women knew he could exert a tremendous amount of political and law enforcement power at any time and they wanted that to end and they didn’t want anyone else to be vulnerable to his abuse. They have done a great public service.”

The investigation found no misconduct by Schneiderman’s staff in the office of the attorney general, but Singas, who has spent much of her career working on sex-crime prosecutions, suggested lawmakers in Albany have some work ahead of them.

She called on the Legislature to take up a bill to “fill a gap” in state law “precludes a prosecutor from charging a perpetrator who slaps, punches, shoves, or kicks another person, without consent, for sexual gratification.”

Advertisements

A Diamond of a Story, the Reichberg Connection, where are the Diamonds?

NEW YORK POST

De Blasio donor allegedly used connections to try and get relative out of jail

A de Blasio donor on trial for allegedly bribing cops was profiting off his powerful connections, including charging a family money to facilitate getting a relative out of jail, a witness testified Wednesday.

Jeremy Reichberg charged the family of Brooklyn cabinetmaker Avi Zangi $2,500 to intervene after Zangi was arrested in 2015 for rear-ending someone while driving with a suspended license, it was claimed at the Manhattan federal- court trial.

The witness, contractor Boaz Gazit, said he reached out to Reichberg on behalf of Zangi’s family because they understood the Borough Park businessman was “connected” to the NYPD.

“Yeah, they know he [Reichberg] is connected and he can get him [Zangi] out somehow,” Gazit said.

“[Reichberg] says he’s going to call someone for $2,500 and, ‘I can get him out in two hours.’ ”

Reichberg got paid despite failing to spring Zangi that night, according to earlier testimony from the Brooklyn highway patrol officer who arrested Zangi.

Officer Theresa Haley told the jury earlier that Reichberg’s pal and co-defendant James Grant called her precinct while she was processing Zangi and asked her why he wasn’t getting off with a “desk ticket,” which would have sent Zangi home that night instead of being sent on to Central Booking.

Haley said she refused the request, despite Grant’s high rank as an NYPD deputy inspector, which is an appointed position.

Reichberg stands accused of a years-long scheme to bribe cops, including Grant, along with real-estate investor Jona Rechnitz, who has pleaded guilty and is cooperating with the feds.

The four-week trial is expected to smear several cops who the feds say also did favors for Reichberg and Rechnitz in exchange for meals and vacations — but who were never charged.

Gazit also told the jury on Wednesday that he installed new windows in Grant’s home in 2013 at the behest of Reichberg.

The windows together with the construction cost roughly $8,000, but he was only paid $2,000 — by Reichberg, he said.

Lawyers for the defense argued that Gazit wasn’t paid for the windows because he did a bad job.

They also claimed that the $2,500 that Reichberg was paid to help following Zangi’s arrest was for actual work, including hiring a lawyer.

FILED UNDER     

66th Precinct, Shomrim, Violence and the Hispanic Victims of the Crimes, Who is Hating Whom?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-metro-false-accusation-orthodox-borouh-park-nypd-20181101-story.html

17SHOMRIM8-master675

Dear Readers:

We ask that you watch the video as linked above carefully.  It can be found on the page covering the related article on THE DAILY NEWS. 

Our sources have told us that it is not uncommon for Hispanic and other non-ultra-Orthodox community members to be “roughed up” by members of the ultra-Orthodox community and by members of the Shomrim (or neighborhood watch). We have been told that the non-ultra-Orthodox victims of these crimes rarely say anything at all for fear that anything they say will be deemed “hate speech” thereby paving the way for the involvement of the Hate Crimes Unit.

Self-defense should not be deemed a hate crime.

Our sources have stated that it is particularly colorful when these incidents occur in the 66th Precinct, with specific implications that precinct members are permitted to moonlight after work and moonlighting for the ultra-Orthodox community can be very lucrative.

We suppose it might also help with anger management at the end of a rough day…

We have been told that there are likely many more similar videos like the one above that either have not been exposed, are “lost,” “hidden,” or “missing.” The stories we are receiving are similar to tales of protection money and gang violence, though more common in the setting of “collections.”

It might be time for law enforcement to start paying attention to what is going on within the ultra-Orthodox communities. There are CCTV cameras everywhere in that community. If you are not finding one, or if the video happens to be missing or shut off, there is something very wrong.

The members of the ultra-Orthodox community are not generally sloppy. If there is no footage it is because someone did not want there to be footage.

 

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-metro-false-accusation-orthodox-borouh-park-nypd-20181101-story.html

Hispanic man allegedly roughed up in his doorway by Jewish neighborhood security patrol raises questions about group’s tactics

An accusation that a Brooklyn man yelled “Kill all the Jews” sparked a wild confrontation that led to an arrest that was later voided — and raised questions about members of a neighborhood patrol who allegedly pulled the man from his home and roughed him up.

The confrontation, captured on video obtained by the Daily News, happened just past midnight last Thursday. The footage shows a 26-year-old Hispanic man getting accosted at the doorway to his home — on 42nd St., in the heart of Orthodox Borough Park — by two other men believed to be from Shmira, a neighborhood patrol group, a source said.

Shmira denied being involved in the confrontation, saying it showed up on the scene after the Hispanic man was involved in the altercation at his front door.

“We absolutely didn’t do anything wrong,” said Levi Leifer, the director of Shmira of Borough Park.

Police said the incident started when the Hispanic man and an Orthodox man argued about a blocked car. At some point, police said, the Hispanic man tried to get into his home.

But video taken from across the street showed the Hispanic man being followed up the stairs by another man, then pushing back as the man appeared to be keeping him from getting inside. Eventually, a third man joins in as the Hispanic man is pulled back outside and roughed up.

The video ends with a van pulling up in front of the house and several men piling out of it, as one of the men involved in the confrontation at the doorway motions towards it.

Police said the Orthodox man involved in the argument about the blocked car called Shmira and reported that the Hispanic man yelled “Kill all the Jews” and punched him. The same allegation was made to police.

The source said other video shows the Hispanic man crossing the street, then arguing with two Orthodox men who accused him of breaking into cars.

“Kill Jews,” they later accused the Hispanic man of saying. The Hispanic man, who could not be reached for comment, at some point was able to call police, the source said.

Neighbors told The News varying accounts, including that the Hispanic man mentioned he wanted to kill Jews.

The Hispanic man was arrested based on the account of the first Orthodox man he argued with. He was taken to the 66th Precinct and the Hate Crime Unit was called in to investigate. After video was located the Hispanic man was released.

Police wouldn’t say what led to the decision not to charge the men seen roughing up the Hispanic man, though Leifer said Shmira has given the NYPD a roster of all its members.

A law enforcement source said the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office is considering assault charges in the case.

The DA’s office had no comment.

To continue to the original article, click here.

Rampant Corruption and Israel’s Eroding Core Values, Former Spymasters Speak

Ex-Mossad chief: Israel ‘dangerously sick’ under Netanyahu’s leadership

TIMES OF ISRAEL 28.March.2018

Five former spymasters say PM eroding country’s core values, decry ‘pervasive’ culture of corruption under his tenure

 

Top row: Former Mossad chiefs from L to R: Danny Yatom, Tamir Pardo, Zvi Zamir, Shabtai Shavit, Nahum Admoni and Efraim Halevy.  Bottom row: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (L) and President Reuven Rivlin host a candle lighting ceremony for of the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah at the President's residence in Jerusalem on December 18, 2014. (Haim Zach / GPO)

Top row: Former Mossad chiefs from L to R: Danny Yatom, Tamir Pardo, Zvi Zamir, Shabtai Shavit, Nahum Admoni and Efraim Halevy. Bottom row: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (L) and President Reuven Rivlin host a candle lighting ceremony for of the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah at the President’s residence in Jerusalem on December 18, 2014. (Haim Zach / GPO)

Five former chiefs of the Mossad spy agency leveled harsh criticism at Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu this week, with one saying that Israel was “dangerously sick” under his leadership.

“I feel so bad about what is happening in the country, the corruption is so deep, so pervasive,” Shabtai Shavit told the Yedioth Ahronoth daily in an excerpt of a joint sit down interview ahead of Independence Day. “There are no red lines, no taboos and add to that the deepening rift among the people.”

Shavit was joined by Zvi Zamir, Nahum Admoni, Danny Yatom, Efraim Halevy and Tamir Pardo in expressing serious concerns about Israel’s future.

“As intelligence people, our most important skill is being able to anticipate the future,” Shavit added. “So I ask myself what kind of country will my grandchildren inherit, and I cannot give an answer to that.”

“It’s a problem of values, of divisions,” Pardo said. “We need leadership that is able to navigate between crises at the right places, but unfortunately, that does not exist today.”

Zamir, the oldest of the group at age 93, fired off the sharpest criticism of Netanyahu, saying the prime minister and his powerful cronies were only serving their own interests.

“I’m not sure that for the prime minister and the senior officials surrounding him that public interests prevail over their personal interests of more money and more power,” he said.

“We are dangerously sick,” he said. “Netanyahu may have inherited a country with symptoms, but he has ushered it into a state of malignant disease.”

Yatom echoed Zamir’s sentiment, saying it was unsurprising that Netanyahu and a growing number of his associates are under investigation for corruption, because they put their own interests ahead of the country’s.

Israel, he warned, was “on a downward spiral,” and called on the prime minister to resign.

In his interview, Halevy criticized Netanyahu, saying his “need for headlines and obsession with his public image verses running the country and managing its security matters is problematic.”

“I think something very bad has happened to leadership in Israel,” he added. “There is a major flaw in the political system that everything that isn’t illegal is kosher.”

88-year-old Admoni said his main concern with Israel today is the growing rift between Israelis, asserting the divide between religious and secular populations was “worse than its ever been.”

“The divide just keeps growing,” Admoni lamented.

Nearly all of the former intelligence officials have publicly censured Netanyahu in the past, though the extensive criticism leveled against him in Yedioth on Tuesday was unprecedented.

The full interview with the six former Mossad chiefs will run in Yedioth’s weekend magazine, 7 Days, on Friday.

Netanyahu is embroiled in several corruption scandals and was questioned again by police on Monday in connection with the Bezeq scandal, known as case 4000.

The probe involves suspicions that Netanyahu, who has served as communications minister for several years over his past two terms as premier, advanced regulatory decisions benefiting Bezeq controlling shareholder Shaul Elovitch in exchange for flattering coverage of the Netanyahus from the Elovitch-owned Walla news site.

In addition to Case 4000, Netanyahu is also suspected of wrongdoing in so-called cases 1000 and 2000, in which police have recommended he be indicted for bribery, breach of trust and fraud.

In Case 1000, Netanyahu and his wife are suspected of receiving illicit gifts from billionaire benefactors, amounting to some NIS 1 million ($282,000) worth of cigars and champagne from the Israeli-born Hollywood producer Arnon Milchan and Australian resort owner James Packer, allegedly in return for certain benefits.

Case 2000 involves a suspected illicit quid-pro-quo deal between Netanyahu and Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper publisher Arnon Mozes that would have seen the prime minister weaken a rival daily, the Sheldon Adelson-backed Israel Hayom, in return for more favorable coverage from Yedioth.

Netanyahu denies wrongdoing in all the cases.